Australia’s busiest railway has benefited from upgrades including the 140-metre long by 27-metre wide North-South concourse.
The North-South concourse is a transition zone linking Central Walk, the 80-metre-long and 19-metre-wide underground pedestrian link, and the northern concourse.
The platforms are 27m below the surface, connecting customers to fast and reliable metro services.
Abyss Construction completed:
- FRP works to the off-form concrete suspended slab (Class 1) through the Northern Concourse
- FRP works of associated stairs, slabs and lift shafts
- Unique solution of suspending reinforcement in pour to eliminate the need for bar chairs and the defects they may cause to the exposed ‘feature’ soffit
- Complex staging of the works to maintain full functionality of Central station transport services at all times during construction
- Curved architectural and structural cantilever slab construction for Northern Concourse grand entrance
- Fabrication and installation of Peri CNC curved formwork for class 2X concrete finish
- Excavation and undermining existing platforms using top down construction approach
- Extensive possession works on key Central Station platforms 12-23
- Complex demolition of 450mm thick concrete slabs for future skylights with canopies and mole holes undergoing concurrent works